CLIMATE- AND NATURE SENSITIVE BUILDING DESIGN
Since 1995 Batteríið Architects has performed independent research in the field of climatic adjustments of the built environment.
The firm has access to prominent specialists and it’s consulting services in the field of climatic design adjustments is one of a kind in Iceland.
ACCESSIBILITY / UNIVERSAL DESIGN
The importance of accessibility is highly appraised by the firm and consultancy within the field of Universal Design is superior.
Batteríið Architects is the proud author of the book “Aðgengi fyrir alla,” the first Icelandic reference manual for Accessibility and Universal Design. See http://www.rabygg.is/adgengi/
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH
Batteríið Architects has an advantage in the field of Occupational Safety and Health.
The firm´s employees receive special training and have adopted the methodology of design and supervision for safety in the workplace.
The firm´s project managers are trained in intermediating work permit applications and collaborating with Safety Inspectorates, providing the firm with precious working knowledge.
CROSS BORDER COOPERATION
Batteríið Architects has since 2004 cooperated cross border with architectural & engineering consultants as well as contractors:
- Batteríið Architects, through its subsidiary company TBL Architects, was the responsible architect for the design of the new 355 thousand tons Alcoa Aluminum Smelter in Iceland for the international contractor Bechtel intl.
- Batteríið Architects and the Danish architectural consulting firm HLA prequalified and were chosen to design the new 28.000 sqm Concert and Congress Centre in Reykjavik, including a 3D glass wall – designed by the world known artist Olafur Eliasson – produced in China and installed by Chinese craftsmen.
- Batteríið Architects and the Danish architectural consulting firm HLA, prequalified and participated in an international planning and design competition for a new 70 000 sqm University Hospital in Reykjavik – and won 2nd Prize.
- Batteríið Architects cooperated with the Swedish architectural consulting firm Arkitekthuset Monarken on a new 30.000 sqm Headquarters for Glitnir Bank in Reykjavik.
- In Manitoba Canada, Batteríið Architects and the Canadian firm Cibinel Architects in Winnipeg prequalified and were chosen to design a 10.000 sqm Multiplex Centre for the Municipality of Gimli.
- In Winnipeg Canada, Batteríið and Cibinel Architects prequalified and were chosen to design a new 10.000 sqm Active Living Centre for The University of Manitoba.
- In Norway, Batteríið Architects participated in a Design and Build Competition for a Multifamily house in the Municipality of Sandnes – and won 1st Prize.
- In Norway, Batteríið Architects together with Arkitektgruppen Cubus, prequalified to participate in a Design Competition for a new Multipurpose Hall in the Municipality of Oygarden – and won 1st Prize.
- In Norway, Batteríið Architects has been working with the Norwegian architectural firm Link – Signatur in the municipality of Sandnes on number of projects.